Thursday, September 10, 2009

What The Hell?

First and foremost, let me apologize for not posting in a week. I had some issues to deal with, both with ill family members and friends. Let's just leave it as it's been a hell of a week. You can relate, can't you? And the best part of it all is I am getting used to a new computer with a touchy touch-pad and I deleted about 4 of my posts before I got them online. Angry? That's a major understatement.

Labor Day weekend is a busy time for most folks - people take the last of their summer vacations, people who have kids are getting them ready for school, and fire departments are collecting donations for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. It's called Fill The Boot for MDA and that's what I was doing all day Saturday and Sunday. Since I do not have children, I put all my efforts into collecting funds for other peoples' kids who need help. But that's another story for another post. It was a whole lot of fun!

The week before the yearly MDA drive has been busy. I was trying to coordinate the activities, with the grateful assistance of my husband, as we were going to collect in the large driveway and parking lot in front of our volunteer firehouse at the very end of the County. I spent more than a little bit of time attempting to coordinate the personnel to assist. And the back up personnel for those who said they'd show and whom I knew would eventually not show. Which leads me to the next subject.

There are very few things that really piss me off. Don't get me wrong, I have quite a few pet peeves, but that's different. I'm talking about things that make me mad enough to want to stomp bunnies. Liars top the list. If I ask you to come out and help with a fundraising activity, meeting, training, Station coverage, etc. and you tell me you will be there...you had BETTER be there. I've had my fill of people yessing me to death and then leaving me holding the bag and doing the job of 5 people. It flat out sucks. It's also not fair to those who are counting on the donations (MDA) or those who are counting on the assistance, i.e. planning events for the volunteer firehouse - our own fundraisers.

On the second day (Sunday)of collecting for MDA, there were a whopping total of 2 people collecting donations. My husband and I collected for a few hours before we finally wrangled 2 of our young members out of bed to come help us (at 1pm), as they'd promised to help the day before. Do you see where I'm going with this? Have y'all been in this predicament as well? I'm sure you have. Doesn't it just frost your damn cookies that folks can be so non-chalant, flippant and conveniently forgetful...well until they need something. Then I seem to be instantaneously on their speed dial.

This has become a part of daily life now, for everyone who is responsible. Damn, I said the big ole bad "r" word...responsible. Why is it that grown adults cannot seem to keep their word? I know it wasn't like this when I was growing up. If you gave someone your word or you committed to do something, you were there. If by some chance of ill-fated luck you could not, you at least called to alert the people that something had come up and you'd help them next time.

What the hell has happened? Some people (young and old) have completely forgotten about manners, being courteous, respectful, being responsible and have forgotten how to help others without expecting anything in return. It's digusting and it's a disgrace to humanity. Are parents not teaching their kids these virtues anymore? Are some folks really that self-absorbed that they can't go out of their way for a little bit and help others? Is it really too much to ask to get off your ass and help someone out who may be less fortunate than yourself?

Yes as you can see, this really irks me, frosts my cookies, burns my biscuits and makes me want to pull my hair out. I know I was not raised that way. Really folks, give me some feedback here because I'm at a loss. What the heck is going on in the world today that people can't help one another?

No comments:

Post a Comment